Applications for IC CAE Scholar Scholarships and Grants
The Bluegrass State Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence accepts applications for IC CAE Scholar scholarships and grants year round. Applicants must be enrolled and in good standing in the IC CAE Scholars Program and be U.S. citizens. If the scholarship and grant activities are planned to be conducted in summer semester, the applications are due no later than March 1. Funding approved during fall and spring semesters must be used before the start of the following fall semester. Please note for study/semester abroad programs, you must be confirmed as an IC CAE Scholar two semester prior to your expected trip to allow you to illustrate engagement with the BGS IC CAE. For example, if you are planning on a summer study/semester abroad program, you must be confirmed as an IC CAE Scholar by the end of the fall semester.
Undergraduate and graduate students may apply for scholarships and grants for the following activities related to the intelligence and security field:
1. Semester Abroad and Study Abroad Programs (minimum of 4 weeks required).
2. Advanced Language Instruction (must have completed two semesters of basic instruction).
3. Critical Language Instruction (Arabic (all dialects), Chinese-Mandarin, Afghan-Dari, Persian-Farsi, Georgian, Hindi, Punjabi, Kirghiz, Afghan-Pushto, Russian, Somali, Hausa, Turkish, Urdu, Uzbek, Korean or other lesser commonly taught languages—must have completed two semesters of basic instruction in the critical language if available at the student’s home university).
5. Research Projects.
6. Conference Participation (student must be making a presentation at the conference).
7. Other activities preparing students for intelligence and security careers.
To apply for IC CAE Scholar scholarships and grants, students shall submit an application with the following information:
1. Student Name, University, University Identification Number, Degree Program (include minors and certificates), Current Cumulative GPA, Total Credit Hours Completed, Expected Graduation Term.
2. Contact information to include: Street Address, Telephone Numbers (Home & Cell), University E-Mail Address.
3. A listing of the dates, event titles and IC CAE Scholar participation points assigned for all activities in the previous 12 months.
4. A short narrative explaining the proposed IC CAE Scholar activity and how this activity compliments your university program of instruction and how it will contribute to your preparation for a career in the intelligence and security field. Include a summary of courses and other activities preparing you for semester abroad, study abroad, advanced language and/or critical language activities.
5. The acceptance notification for semester or study abroad, language instruction programs, internships, conference participation (paper or presentation acceptance) or other activities where funding is being requested.
6. A detailed budget, showing the total cost of the proposed activity and additional sources of funding (other scholarships, financial aid, personal funds) to cover the total cost in addition to the IC CAE Scholar scholarship or grant. Indicate if the other sources of funding have been approved or are available.
7. Supporting documentation with a detailed description of the IC CAE Scholar activity (provide copies of brochures, web pages, etc.). Applications for research project support must include a detailed research proposal. Applications for conference participation support must include a conference paper or presentation abstract.
Answer the following questions in the application:
1. If applying for an IC CAE Scholar scholarship or grant involving foreign travel, do you have a U.S. Passport? Yes or No. Note: Approved funding including foreign travel cannot be released until student provides a copy of their U.S. Passport picture page.
2. If you do not receive the full amount of IC CAE Scholar scholarship or grant funding requested, will you still be able to participate in the activity? Yes or No. If no, please explain.
3. Have you previously received IC CAE Scholar scholarship or grant funding? Yes or No. If yes, please list year, amount of funding and activity.
For questions or assistance in completing IC CAE Scholar scholarship and grant applications, or to submit completed applications, please contact the Bluegrass State Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence co-directors as follows:
Eastern Kentucky University students, those from other universities enrolled in Eastern Kentucky intelligence certificates, or from other universities having their own intelligence academic programs: Dr. Brian Simpkins, Stratton 50, Brian.Simpkins@eku.edu
Morehead State University students, or those from other universities enrolled in Morehead State intelligence certificates: Dr. Michael Hail, Combs 110B, M.Hail@moreheadstate.edu.